Woman due to face murder trial found dead at her flat

Mary Lynch, who was charged with murder, was found dead in herflat yesterday morning. Picture: Press 22

A woman who was to face trial for the murder of a father of three in Limerick was found dead yesterday morning.

The body of Mary Lynch, 41, was found in her basement flat on Cecil St, Limerick City, at around 9.30am.

She had been on High Court bail and was awaiting trial at the Central Criminal Court on a charge of murdering Paddy Redmond, 65.

Mr Redmond, who had been estranged from his wife and three daughters, was found dead in his apartment on Mount Kennett Place, Limerick, on November 10, 2013.

Originally from Dublin, Mr Redmond had been living at different addresses in Limerick for a number of years and had moved to the Dock Road apartment complex more a year before his murder.

Gardaí, responding to Mr Redmond’s apartment around 2am on the morning in question, found him with a single stab wound to his chest. He was rushed by ambulance to University Hospital Limerick where he died.

Last April, at a sitting of Limerick District Court, Garda Sean Dixon served the State’s book of evidence, which ran to three volumes, on Ms Lynch as she sat in the public gallery.

Ms Lynch, who was originally from the Midlands, was arrested in January last year and remanded in custody before been granted bail at the High Court a week later.

When she was charged with the murder, she replied “not guilty”. Mary Lynch had been granted free legal aid by the courts.

Her solicitor John Devane previously requested that she receive all necessary psychiatric and medical help while in custody.

“She is on a regime of medicine that have to be strictly observed for her own health and well being,” Mr Devane told Limerick District Court last January.

He had requested the State “act expeditiously”, “as Ms Lynch is unwell”.

Gardaí said her body had been found outside her apartment this morning at around 9.30am. The death is not believed to be suspicious.

“She wasn’t well at all,” a garda source said.

“She was living alone. She was signing on three times a week at Henry Street garda station as part of her bail terms.”

Gardai believe Mr Redmond was stabbed to death after a drink-fuelled row at a neighbour’s flat.

Paramedics who were called to the scene battled to save Mr Redmond’s life but he died shortly afterwards from the injuries inflicted by the knife wound.

Mr Redmond lived alone but was discovered unconscious in a neighbour’s flat. There were a number of other people in the flat at the time.

It was the second tragedy at the Mount Kennett apartment block in a short period of time. Three months earlier a man in his 30s fell to his death from a fifth-floor in the same building.


Lacemakers in Limerick want to preserve their unique craft for future generations and hope to gain UNESCO heritage status, writes Ellie O’Byrne.Made in Munster: Lace-making a labour of love rather than laborious industry

More From The Irish Examiner