Whistleblower McCabe ‘lost six years of life’

The Garda whistleblower Sergeant Maurice McCabe has admitted that the pursuit of wrongdoing within the force cost him and his family six years of their lives.

In an exclusive interview with the Irish Examiner, Mr McCabe said that, in highlighting wrong-doing in the penalty points system, he was only interested in repeat offenders, because these were the cases that were potentially a threat to road safety.

Sgt McCabe and former Garda John Wilson were honoured with a People of the Year award on Saturday night for their services in highlighting the penalty points scandal that has led to a complete overhaul of the system.

He said he had not been looking for small stuff. “I concentrated on the repeat offenders, the people who were getting off despite being caught again and again, often doing crazy speeds,” said Sgt McCabe.

The resistance he met in highlighting the issue, and the failure to properly investigate crime in the Co Cavan area, took its toll on his family, said his wife, Lorraine.

“It took over Maurice’s life completely, and we had to live with it,” she said. “Fear was my biggest thing. The fear of being set up for something. With all we had seen, you’d just never know.”

In the following months, a succession of events saw his core allegations of the mishandling of criminal investigations come to the fore. Senior counsel Sean Guerin investigated, and vindicated practically everything that Sgt McCabe had been saying.

Reports from the Garda Inspectorate on the penalty points, and criminal investigations within the force, further endorsed everything he had been saying.

“Every day Maurice went into work, he’d ring and I’d ask whether anything was waiting for him in there, he was getting all these instructions from Dublin,” said Lorraine. “Maurice goes out of the house and turns right, for Mullingar, where he’s based. I turn left and meet everybody. You’d see it, guards’ wives avoiding me. Some people stopped talking to me. It was all out in the public. And then, when the truth finally came out it was like a shadow had been lifted from our lives.”

Despite the toll, however, the sergeant, who is now serving in Mullingar, believes it was worth the outcome, which has seen Garda Commissioner Nóirín O’Sullivan instigate a new regime which makes it much more difficult for the system to be abused.

“But I believe I did my job. I did my duty and that’s all that matters,” says Sgt McCabe.

Related Articles

Everyone accepts that false abuse allegations were not used to discredit McCabe - Tribunal Chairman

Charleton Tribunal: Solicitor could see "trouble brewing" over challenger to whistleblower's integrity

Gardaí and lawyers 'discussed decade-old indecent assault allegation against Maurice McCabe days before first O'Higgins hearings'

Gardai’s head of legal affairs tells Tribunal he should have told Commissioner to think about strategy

More in this Section

€160m Cork docklands plan cleared for development

€22bn green plan but TDs drive diesel

New cancer treatment to reduce radiation risk to heart

Cork one of cities worst-hit if globe heats up


Breaking Stories

€250k and €60k prizes won in Lotto but no winner of €2m jackpot

One person critical, five injured after Cork crash

Investigation underway after body of man, 20, found in Sligo

Vigil held outside Dublin's GPO to show support for Syrian people

Lifestyle

The biggest cancer killer will take your breath away

Hopefully she had an idea...

Power of the press: Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks discuss 'The Post'

More From The Irish Examiner