A woman in her early 30s who was indecently assaulted when she was aged between seven and 11 decided to make a complaint to gardaí when she learned her attacker had been jailed for indecently assaulting other young girls some years after he attacked her, a court has heard.
Initially, the women decided not to proceed with a complaint after going to the gardaí in 2013.
Limerick Circuit Court heard yesterday that, a short time later, she found out about later offences involving two other girls and the accused was then in jail.
This proved a catalyst and she returned to a Limerick garda station to make statements, which led to the accused being charged with five indecent attacks on her during childhood.
The 67-year-old accused pleaded guilty to five charges of indecently assaulting the girl on dates between May 1986 and May 1990.
Det Sgt Garry Laide said the victim was aged seven when the first indecent assault occurred and they continued until she was 11.
John O’Sullivan, prosecuting, said: “He made admissions, but they were not as comprehensive as one would have hoped.”
Mark Nicholas, defending, said the case was a catharsis for both the accused and his victim.
The accused had owned up all these years later and came clean.
He said this was important for the victim as matters which bothered her for years were now out in the open.
Judge Tom O’Donnell adjourned sentencing to July 28 and remanded the accused on continuing bail.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved