The widow and father-in-law of slain Limerick man Jason Corbett, who was allegedly beaten to death with a baseball bat at his home in the US, are to face trial charged with his killing.
However, a source close to the Corbett family said they are “unhappy” over US legal procedures, after it emerged Molly Martens and her father Thomas Martens, have not been placed in custody. They are instead to appear in court by appointment to be officially indicted for trial. Thomas Michael Martens, 65, is a former FBI investigator.
Davidson County Assistant District Attorney Greg Brown confirmed yesterday that a grand jury indicted Ms Martens, 31, and her father, with second-degree murder and voluntary manslaughter.
Mr Corbett, a father of two from Limerick city, was found dead at his home in North Carolina on August 2 last after he sustained serious head injuries.
“It was an extremely thorough investigation,” Davidson County Sheriff Grice told online news station The-Dispatch.com “We are pleased with the decision of the grand jury,” Sherrif Grice said.
According to a police incident report, deputies responded to the Corbetts’ residence just after 3am on August 2, 2014.
The report stated the Davidson County 911 Center advised a caller had been in an argument with his son-in-law and struck him with a baseball bat.
Mr Corbett’s children — Jack, 11, and Sarah, 10 — whose mother Mags died from an asthma attack, were placed in the custody of his sister Treacy Lynch and her husband David, following a prolonged legal battle with Ms Martens.
A spokesperson for the Corbetts said members of the family, believed to be his sister Treacy Lynch and her husband David, travelled to the US to hear the grand jury indictment.
“They’re over in the US since last weekend. The grand jury ruling was made known today,” they said.
However, the source indicated Mr Corbett’s family were “not happy” that the Martens’ have not been placed in police custody.
“They have not even arrested them. The charges were made known to them through their attorneys,” the source said.
“They are supposed to present themselves in court to face the charges,” the source said.
The source also revealed: “The judgement was delivered before Christmas but it was only opened today.
“The family see it as a start,” they added.
Ms Martens made an attempt to contact her stepchildren on New Year’s Day, posting a picture of herself and Sarah along with her phone number, email address, and a brief message: “Jack and Sarah, New Years two years ago... There are not words for how much I miss you.”
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved