Tourist app focusing on walking tours of famous Battle of Kinsale to boost tourism

Pic: Eddie O'Hare

Multimedia displays and apps focusing on walking tours of the famous Battle of Kinsale look set to be developed by Cork County Council to promote tourism in the harbourside town.

Senior council officials say they are exploring this possibility and looking at how they will fund it.

They told a meeting of the Bandon/Kinsale municipal council that they are following this path after discussing the issue of an increased marketing of the town’s heritage following a meeting with the local historical society.

Officials said they are particularly keen on developing a walking tour app of the area, especially for those interested in the history of the battle which took place in 1601.

While officials said they might suggest funding came from revenue acquired by pay parking in the town, Cllr Alan Coleman (Independent) said that starting in November, Fáilte Ireland is planning to take applications for small tourism-related projects which cost less than €200,000.

He maintained that multi-media displays and a walking tour app of the town might be a perfect fit for such grant-aid.

Cllr Gillian Coughlan (FF) asked officials to examine what powers they have to ensure that any potential building sites are not developed in the future unless extensive archaeological examinations are carried out in advance of granting planning permission.

She maintained that following the battle there had to be a number of mass graves in the area and is very concerned that they might be disturbed.

Council officials said they will look at every avenue of funding to get the projects off the ground.

Meanwhile, a number of metal signs showing the sites of the battleground were recently stolen and are being replaced at some expense by the county council.

Cllr Kevin Murphy said the council should look at putting pictures of them up on its Facebook site in the hope that people may provide information about where they are now.

He said he has discussed the issue with local gardaí and they agree with him that this might help them trace the stolen signs.

Some councillors believe they will end up being sold to pubs in the United States of America, or Britain, as has been the case in the past when some old signs were stolen from around the countryside.

Council officials said they will see if the pictures could be posted on Facebook.

More on this topic

Gresham Hotel sees profits increase by 18% to €5.8mGresham Hotel sees profits increase by 18% to €5.8m

€10.2m Atlantic Museum to be developed in Galway City€10.2m Atlantic Museum to be developed in Galway City

Fáilte Ireland paid Golf Channel €187,500 to help broadcast Irish OpenFáilte Ireland paid Golf Channel €187,500 to help broadcast Irish Open

Number of visits to Ireland’s key attractions falls 10% so far this yearNumber of visits to Ireland’s key attractions falls 10% so far this year


Lifestyle

Sunday Lunch costs €45 per person and includes several set courses but with a choice of mains.Restaurant Review: Bastible Restaurant, Dublin

It never ceases to stop me in my tracks when I hear my husband intone to our children one of the oft overused phrases from my stockpile of, “Can you just not?” categories.Lindsay Woods: If my children feel I’m doing it wrong then I must be doing it right

The season of mists and mellow fruitfulness — John Keats had it right about autumn.Eyes on the pies: Eight apple tarts put to the taste test

Simone Rocha invited ieStyle into her London studio for an exclusive look behind the scenes as she put the finishing touches to her acclaimed collection for Fashion Week. Rachel Marie Walsh reportsBeing Simone Rocha: An exclusive look behind the scenes

More From The Irish Examiner