A couple whose home was razed without any prior notice when a new dual carriageway was being constructed between Limerick and Nenagh has taken a High Court action for damages.
Brian and Mary O’Shaughnessy have been living in rented accommodation after their single-storey two-bedroom home, described as an old Irish farmhouse, at Annaholty, Birdhill, Co Tipperary was demolished and the site cleared on September 6, 2006.
Yesterday they told the High Court of their anguish and eight-and a-half-year nightmare after their home was demolished.
The couple had planned to renovate the home they had bought for €34,000 in 1998 and had applied for planning permission.
By late August 2006 slates on the roof had been removed and the furniture taken out.
On the evening of September 6, 2006, Mary O’Shaughnessy told the court she decided to collect post at the house.
When she arrived at Annaholty the house was gone.
Initially she thought she was “at the wrong place.” When she realised what had happened to their home she became very upset. She said it felt like she and her husband’s lives had been “wiped out”.
“I got such a shock. I froze really “ she said. “I just could not understand it”.
She said she went to a neighbours, who told her the workers had demolished the house between 11am and 3.20pm that day.
As a result of the loss of their home, the couple are seeking damages from Limerick County Council, The NRA, RPS Consulting Engineers, EGIS Route Scetauroute SA (a joint venture in the name of RPS Scetauroute JV) and Midland Fencing Ltd for negligence.
The case is expected to last several weeks.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved