Teen raped young boy and a girl with Down Syndrome

An 18-year-old man who raped and sexually assaulted two children, one of whom has Down Syndrome, has been sentenced to six years.

The Wicklow man pleaded guilty at the Central Criminal Court to four counts of rape, one count of threatening to kill and one count of sexual assault, between June 20, 2013, and December 31, 2014.

Anne Rowland, prosecuting, said that the first victim had speech and language difficulties and some developmental issues.

The mother of the young boy went to a garda station on July 8, 2014, when a friend of her son’s came to her and told her he had been raped.

The sexual offences occurred when both boys were playing in a field. “The accused said he didn’t speak to the victim during the offence… He said if he told anyone he would kill him.”

The accused voluntarily came to the garda station on August 18, 2014, with his mother, where he made full admissions to raping the boy on two occasions.

In her victim impact statement, the mother of the boy said she first noticed there was something wrong when her son started taking extra showers and washing himself in an unnatural manner in 2013. He said he had been raped twice by the accused and wanted to clean himself. A “permanent scar” has been left on her son.

The second victim was a girl with Down Syndrome. On April 5, 2015, her mother was helping her shower when her daughter said the accused had kissed her. “She said he had put his tongue in her mouth and she did not like it,” said counsel.

The girl’s parents said in their victim impact statement that their daughter’s “loving nature” had been “snapped away from her”. “She is self-harming now a lot and has a total distrust of the male sex. Our hearts have been ripped apart.”

Brendan Grehan, defending, said his client was 15 when he began offending. He has since attempted to take his own life. His parents disowned him when he made full admissions.

Counsel told the court he was instructed to apologise unreservedly to the court for his client’s behaviour.

Justice McCarthy sentenced the defendant to three years for the offences on each victim to run consecutively and ordered he undergoes five years post-release supervision and undertake sexual offenders therapeutic courses.


Lifestyle

March is the perfect time to take action when it comes to your lawn, writes Peter DowdallGrassroots campaign: Take action in your lawn

Robin Maharaj, director at Kilkenny Architectural Salvage and AntiquesRobin Maharaj: ‘If you take a longterm view you won’t go wrong’

Fond recollections of a legend, an industry titan comes to Cork, Grimes' new album impresses critics, and Cork French Film Festival announces its lineup, writes Des O'DriscollScene and Heard: ‘Fail we may, sail we must’

Irish Examiner arts editor Des O'Driscoll picks his top gigs from the weekend's event, at venues around Cork City.Right Here, Right Now: this weekend's highlights

More From The Irish Examiner