Stabbed boy lost college offer

Five youths have been sent forward for trial for allegedly beating and stabbing another teenager.

Dublin Children’s Court heard that the injured boy, aged 17, subsequently lost out on a soccer scholarship in the United States.

Two 17-year-old boys and three 18-year-olds appeared before Judge John O’Connor at the Dublin Children’s Court.

They are accused of having a crutch and an extendible baton as weapons, assault causing harm to the 17-year-old boy and violent disorder, in connection with the incident at Edenmore Park, Dublin, on September 19 last year.

Earlier, the two 17-year-old boys faced a preliminary hearing to determine if they should be tried in the juvenile court or in the Circuit Court, which has tougher sentencing powers. Judge O’Connor refused jurisdiction in their cases and they will be tried with their adult co-defendants.

In an outline of the allegations, Garda Brian Healy had said the victim intervened in a fight between two girls and walked one of them away to safety. It was alleged he was later confronted by youths, stabbed a number of times, and hit with crutches.

The garda said locals intervened and brought him into a house. He was bleeding heavily. He collapsed onto a kitchen table and was losing consciousness when paramedics arrived.

He spent two weeks in hospital and had stab wounds on his back, as well as head and facial injuries.

Since then, he has lost weight, has trouble sleeping, suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder, and has not been able to continue playing football, the juvenile court heard.

The defendants, who were accompanied to court by family members, have been granted legal aid, but have not yet indicated how they will plead.


Lifestyle

It’s not what you have that makes you happy, it’s what you do. And what better time to be proactive than during the season of goodwill, says Margaret Jennings.Joy to the world: Strategies to increase your happiness during the season of goodwill

More From The Irish Examiner