THE sole survivor of the country’s worst road crash that claimed the lives of eight men in July has been interviewed by gardaí.
Shaun Kelly, 22, was seriously injured in the Co Donegal crash on July 11 and spent more than nine weeks in hospital where he was deemed by doctors to be unfit for interview.
He left Letterkenny Hospital earlier this month and gardaí recently interviewed him at the family home in Ballymagan, Buncrana.
Supt Kevin English yesterday confirmed a preliminary interview with the survivor had taken place. He said he could not comment further but said the investigation was continuing. “Our enquiries are ongoing and the investigation is progressing well. A substantial number of witnesses have come forward and we have had excellent co-operation from the public,” said Supt English.
Shaun Kelly was the driver of a black VW Passat that collided with a Toyota Corolla, at Glasmullen on the main Clonmany to Buncrana road at 10.40pm. Seven of his friends in the car with him died at the scene. They were Mark McLaughlin, 21, of Ballinahone, Fahan; Paul Doherty, 19, of Ardagh, Ballyliffin; Ciarán Sweeney, 19, of Ballyliffin; PJ McLaughlin, 21, of Rockstown, Burnfoot; James McEleney, 23, of Minaduff, Clonmany; Eamon McDaid, 22, of Ballymagan, Buncrana; and Damien McLaughlin, 21, of Umricam, Buncrana.
The Corolla driver, Hughie Friel, 66, also died.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved