The guardian ad litem for a child who claims he was sexually abused by his parents has said she does not believe the boy was telling the truth when he retracted the allegations.
The parents face a total of 82 charges of abuse between 2007 and 2011 in Waterford.
The child’s guardian ad litem, an independent social worker assigned to represent the boy’s interests, told Pauline Walley, prosecuting, that she visited the boy last year.
She said the boy seemed agitated. He had circles under his eyes and was pacing. While they were eating in McDonalds he became emotional and asked to speak to a social worker alone.
The trial has already heard he then retracted the allegations of sexual abuse against his parents and said only physical abuse took place. However during his trial testimony, the now 12-year-old insisted the allegations were true and said he only retracted them because he didn’t want to go through with the trial.
Asked about the retractions, the guardian ad litem said she didn’t believe they were true.
The trial is due to sit on Saturday.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved