Sergeant who took his own life was unaware he had been cleared by GSOC

Sgt Mick Galvin was found slumped in a chair in the detective’s room at Ballyshannon Garda Station, his inquest heard yesterday.

He was in full Garda uniform except for his tie.

He shot himself with a Garda-issue Sig pistol and he had left a suicide note in his own office in the same station, coroner Dr Denis McAuley was told at the inquest in Donegal town.

The gun, taken with a key from the locked armoury in the station, was beneath the chair. There was no evidence anybody heard the shot being fired.

Sgt Galvin’s wife Colette sat quietly with relatives in the courtroom.

Dr McAuley, who returned a suicide finding at the inquest, said that as a doctor and coroner he had learned that when a person was suicidal the awful thing was that it was temporary but at that time they felt there was no other way of getting around their feelings.

“It’s just sad that Michael had that sense that evening and had access to munitions. It’s sad. It seems so ridiculously simple but it is.”

The 45-year-old father of three, who was under investigation by the Garda Ombudsman commission and did not know he had been cleared, last spoke to colleague Garda Paddy Battle shortly before he took his own life in the early hours of May 28, 2015.

Gda Battle, a friend of the dead man for 10 years, told the inquest he received a phone call at 11.50pm on May 27 and they talked about the job and sport.

Sgt Galvin told him he was leaving to go home soon and they agreed to meet again in the morning. “Later that morning I was informed of his death,” said Gda Battle.

Garda Claire O’Hara, who was on duty in Ballyshannon with Sgt Galvin, said she entered his office to speak with him at 4am and he was not there. At 4.40am Colette Galvin phoned the station inquiring if her husband was still there. Gda O’Hara said that, with colleagues, she checked all offices and did not locate him. She returned to his own office and saw a suicide note addressed to his wife. She accepted that it may have been there when she first entered.

She informed senior officer Supt Colm Nevin by phone that Sgt Galvin was missing. Detective Ciaran O’Brien, who came on duty at 7am, told of finding Sgt Galvin in the detectives’ office. He was slumped in the chair with a gunshot wound in his head.

The inquest heard that Gda O’Hara would not have access to the detectives’ room — explaining the delay in discovering him — but Sgt Galvin had access to it.

Earlier this year Mr Justice Frank Clarke investigated the GSOC handling of its inquiry into an incident on New Year’s morning 2015 when 23-year-old mother of three Sheena Stewart died in a road accident in Ballyshannon.

Sgt Galvin and other gardaí had some interaction with Ms Stewart before the accident.

They had been cleared of any wrongdoing but Sgt Galvin had not been notified.

More on this topic

Children’s Ombudsman: Young people have died by suicide because of Government’s ‘inaction’ on mental healthChildren’s Ombudsman: Young people have died by suicide because of Government’s ‘inaction’ on mental health

Government’s eyes glaze over at mention of Traveller mental health, senator saysGovernment’s eyes glaze over at mention of Traveller mental health, senator says

Caroline Flack opens up about her mental health strugglesCaroline Flack opens up about her mental health struggles

Admitting children to adult psychiatric units ‘common’Admitting children to adult psychiatric units ‘common’


It never ceases to stop me in my tracks when I hear my husband intone to our children one of the oft overused phrases from my stockpile of, “Can you just not?” categories.Lindsay Woods: If my children feel I’m doing it wrong then I must be doing it right

In honour of our Made in Munster special edition, Joe McNamee creates a four-course meal showcasing the best produce from the province. And there’s a lot to celebrate.The Menu's Made in Munster six course dinner - One from each county

More From The Irish Examiner