A second man is being questioned by gardaí investigating the shooting of Ciara Sheehan in Cork at the weekend.
The 68-year-old was arrested around tea-time yesterday in the Gurranabraher area and detained under the provisions of Section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act.
He was taken to Gurranabraher Garda Station for questioning, where a 29-year-old man, arrested shortly after Sunday’s shooting, was still being quizzed by detectives.
Gardaí were also consulting with the DPP late last night about whether to charge or release that 29-year-old whose period of detention was due to expire around 2am.
Earlier, a 22-year-old woman, who had also been arrested after the shooting, was released from the Bridewell Garda Station without charge. A file is being prepared for the DPP.
Meanwhile, Bishop of Cork, John Buckley, said he was very concerned that Ms Sheehan, 21, a completely innocent person, had been caught up in the violence. And he called for people to surrender illegal weapons to gardaí.
“Gun crime is the most serious development in society today,” he told TV3 News.
“We’ve seen the destruction, sorrow, and the trouble it has created in other cities. We don’t want the violence endemic in other cities to spread to Cork.
“It’s a very peaceful city with just a few isolated incidents during the past few years.”
Ms Sheehan remains in CUH but is expected to make a full recovery.
More than 40 gardaí are working on the investigation, which is being overseen by Superintendent Con Cadogan.
The team has called to more than 200 homes and completed 600 questionnaires following extensive door-to-door inquiries in and around the Hollywood estate area of Hollyhill.
CCTV footage is also being collected.
Threatening Facebook messages posted in the hours before the shooting also form part of the extensive Garda probe.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved