Police in Rio have claimed that they have access to emails between Pat Hickey and Marcus Evans of the THG Group relating to the sale of tickets for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
This is despite a ban on THG handling tickets for the Rio Games put in place by the Rio authorities.
At a press conference last night, officers told the media that weekly emails between Mr Evans and Mr Hickey, who recently “temporarily” stepped aside as OCI president date back to 2010, when THG won the rights to handle the tickets.
Crucially, officers claimed they also have obtained one email between the two men on August 3, less than three weeks ago, on the eve of the Games commencing.
A week on from Mr Hickey’s controversial arrest, officers said their probe has established that the OCI enabled tickets to THG via Pro10, an Irish company based in Lucan, Dublin.
The relationship between THG, Pro10, and the OCI, is central to the investigations not only in Rio but to the pending State inquiry here, the terms of reference of which are due to be published today.
In 2010, THG won the rights to handle the OCI’s tickets for the London Olympics in 2012.
At the time, Mr Hickey recorded a video praising the work of THG, adding that they should get first refusal on handling the tickets for the Rio Games.
However, following theWorld Cup in Brazil in 2014, Rio authorities prohibited THG from being a ticket agent.
However, then Kevin Mallon, a THG employee, was arrested in possession of 781 OCI designated tickets two weeks ago, and has remained in prison ever since.
Both THG and Pro10 have consistently denied any wrongdoing, and have said that they welcome the Government’s inquiry.
Mr Hickey, who is being detained at the notorious Bangu Prison, did not appear before a Rio court yesterday because prosecutors have not yet been able to present their case before a judge.
Mr Hickey’s legal team had earlier confirmed that it could be Friday before he is in court.
“The judiciary recess ended today and the prosecutor has not yet presented his case before the judge,” they said yesterday morning.
“So it will not be possible for the judge to whom the case will be assigned to already be aware of the matter”
The backlog of some 800 cases dates back to August 5, when the courts went on holidays, with Mr Hickey’s case not lodged until August 19. The cases will be processed in the order at which they came in, meaning Mr Hickey will have to wait.
Meanwhile, the three OCI officials presented to the Rio police yesterday afternoon for questioning.
Honorary general secretary Dermot Henihan, chef de mission Kevin Kilty, and CEO Stephen Martin, were scheduled to meet with police at 2pm Rio time.
Mr Henihan appeared at the Cidade de Policía (police city) station in the north of the city in a black Ford Fusion at around 2.10pm.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved