Garth Brooks is sticking to his guns over his five-night concert ultimatum, as some Croke park residents are going to the High Court in a bid to block the three licensed concerts.
As a press spokesperson for Brooks reaffirmed the singer’s desire to hold five shows, Dublin City manager, Owen Keegan, told a meeting of councillors he hoped three concerts would go ahead and the other two could be rescheduled.
However, one group of residents — the Stop Croke Park Concert Madness Group — said they would object to the scheduling of two other concerts in 2014, while a different group of local people near Croke Park have gone to the High Court in a bid to ensure the three licensed concerts are not held.
The country music superstar is due to hold a press conference at 5pm, Irish time, in Nashville on Thursday. A spokesperson for Nancy Seltzer PR in Los Angeles said the event had been planned well in advance of last week’s decision by Dublin City Council to only allow three concerts, beginning on July 25, to go ahead.
She added that Brooks’ position was he wished to play all five shows or none.
However, injunction proceedings were formally lodged in the High Court yesterday which could rule out the three licensed shows from going ahead.
The legal proceedings are brought in the name of Brian Duff, whose solicitor is named as Anthony Fay, the solicitor acting for some residents of Croke Park.
The case is against Aiken Promotions (Ireland) Ltd and Páirc an Chrócaigh Teoranta.
The orders sought include injunctions preventing the holding of the three shows which had secured approval from Dublin City Council.
Dublin City manager, Owen Keegan, told a council meeting that in discussions with promoters ahead of the shows “Dublin City Council planning department made it clear no decision had been made on the application at that time.”
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved