A man was still being questioned by gardaí last night in connection with their investigation into the deaths of two elderly brothers at their home in Castlebar, Co Mayo, early on Wednesday morning.
The 26-year-old man, who is believed to be from the Ballina area but resident in Castlebar, was being held under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984, which allows him to be held for 24 hours without charge.
His period of detention was due to run out at 12.30am today.
Meanwhile, the bodies of Jackie Blaine, 70, and his brother Tommy, 68, who lived at New Antrim St, Castlebar, are expected to be released today for burial over the weekend.
Paul Dunne, a cousin of the deceased, explained it was hoped to have the funerals on Sunday but no definite arrangements had been confirmed as of yesterday afternoon.
Superintendent Pat Diskin, who is heading the double murder probe, said yesterday that investigations are ongoing.
Supt Diskin thanked the people of the town for their support and assistance and said information which might prove very valuable had been forthcoming from the community at large.
Last night’s meeting of Castlebar Town Council was adjourned as a mark of respect to the dead men. A book of condolences has been opened at the Town Council offices in Marsh House.
After the meeting, the mayor of Castlebar, Noreen Heston, a friend of the Blaines, led a group of councillors to the dead men’s house where she laid a wreath of flowers.
“What happened is brutal and sad,” Ms Heston said prior to the meeting. “I have known Tommy and Jackie for 10 years. They were quiet and inoffensive, really lovely people.”
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved