No fracking will take place in Ireland until at least 2016, after a two-year study is carried out into the controversial gas extraction method.
The Environmental Protection Agency has invited tenders for a two-year research programme into the potential impacts on the environment and human health from fracking projects and operations, including construction, operation, and aftercare.
While there is currently no exploratory or commercial drilling underway in relation to fracking anywhere in Ireland, it is an emerging issue and one that has seen widespread opposition among the public.
Manager of the research programme manager at the EPA, Brian Donlon, said no fracking would be taking place until the study had been completed.
“Minister’s Rabbitte and O’Dowd have indicated that there will be no fracking until this comprehensive piece of research has been completed and that will be in the order of two years,” said Dr Donlon.
“We published a small study in the middle of last year and it raised up a lot of questions. We are now commissioning a much more extensive study.”
This is going to involve about 40 tasks, he said.
Good to hear EPA on @morningireland launching 2 year study into fracking, no fracking to take place in Ireland until findings revealed— John Buckley (@JohnDaveBuckley) November 22, 2013
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved