The gardaí withdrew charges yesterday against a man who had threatened to turn a high-profile new housing scheme on the north-side of Cork city into a “hell of hassle and damage” after his subsequent promise that there would be no trouble was borne out.
Inspector John Deasy said that there had been no difficulties at the housing estate in keeping with the defendant’s word and that gardaí were yesterday prepared to withdraw the charges against the father-of-nine.
Denis Stokes, 39, who had been living at bay 12, the halting site, Knocknaheeny, Cork, has since moved into a house at St Anthony’s Park in the area.
The incident that gave rise to the court case in the first place occurred on April 15. Mr Stokes put his four horses on to a public road as gardaí tried to round them up and he issued a warning about the €5m new housing facility. “We’ll make your lives hell on the new site. We’ll cause more hassle and damage up there.”
Inspector Gary McPolin said previously that gardaí were extremely concerned about any such threats as Mr Stokes and others were at the time in the process going from the halting site to St Anthony’s Park.
Referring to the threat to cause damage, Judge Kelleher had asked Mr Stokes in May if he would give an undertaking not to behave in that way.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved