Needle pierced brain of upholsterer

A man with 40 years experience re-upholstering furniture died after a ‘giant sewing needle’ pierced his brain through his eye.

Brian Pimley, 61, of Dublin Road, Tyrrellspass, Co Westmeath, died after a foot-long needle he used as part of his work pierced through his brain to the back of his head on April 8, 2014.

“He was fixing a spring on a chair, he was using a long thin needle to remove staples from the chair,” his wife Helen Pimley said.

“I noticed his tea going cold so I went out and saw him lying on the floor. I thought he’d had a heart attack,” his wife told Dublin Coroner’s Court.

Mr Pimley was able to tell her what happened.

“His exact words were, I stuck a needle in my eye, then fell backwards and heard a crack,” Mrs Pimley said. She noticed the needle on the floor beside him.

Mr Pimley was rushed to Tullamore Hospital and later to Beaumont Hospital in Dublin where he died 24 hours later.

The cause of death was fatal haemorrhage as a result of the injury.

The jury returned a verdict of accidental death.



Lifestyle

Living with arthritis? 7 tips for managing morning stiffness

Seven myths and truths about healthy skin

Meet the women on a mission to stop you fearing carbs, dairy and sugar

Speaking up for new ways to learn the Irish language

More From The Irish Examiner