Murder victim’s inquest adjourned after court injunction

An inquest into the death of murder victim Liam Murray has been adjourned after a High Court injunction was secured by his family yesterday.

The 42-year-old mechanic from Rockbrook Cottage, Cruagh Rd, Rathfarnham, Co Dublin, was shot dead at his home on March 17, 2009. The DPP directed that no charges be brought in relation to the case due to insufficient evidence.

Mr Murray’s sisters instructed their legal team to pursue issues around access to statements and public interest privilege, Dublin Coroner’s Court was told by Robert Purcell, the solicitor for the family.

The issues raised by Mr Murray’s family members could have a “more general effect in relation to inquests in general”, Mr Purcell told the inquest.

Coroner Dr Brian Farrell said he had not yet received an order from the High Court but was told it should be expected within hours.

He said he understood the issue arose in relation to the appearance of a specific witness due to give evidence at the inquest, but Mr Purcell said that was not the case.

“Our clients, the family, have instructed us to pursue issues around access to statements and public interest privilege,” said Mr Purcell.

“These are the issues that form the main part of the application.”

The coroner noted that the original High Court order was made on June 8 and said that the last-minute nature of the injunction had caused some “concern and confusion”.

“We didn’t know it was not about the witness,” Dr Farrell said.

Mr Purcell said that the family’s decision was not taken lightly and that matters such as this take time to come before the High Court.

“The issues raised, they could have a more general effect in relation to inquests in general,” Mr Purcell said.

He said the issues raised by the family had “little or nothing to do with a witness issue”, as the coroner had previously understood.

Grainne O’Mahony, for the Chief State Solicitor’s Office said the matter would be dealt with under judicial review initially and that the State would make a response before the next court date due in November.

Dr Farrell thanked Inspector George Geary for moving swiftly last Friday to stand down the jury and witnesses who had been expected to attend Dublin Coroner’s Court for the inquest hearing.

Dr Farrell said he would like to keep the matter under review and adjourned the inquest until Tuesday, December 15, for further mention.


Lifestyle

It never ceases to stop me in my tracks when I hear my husband intone to our children one of the oft overused phrases from my stockpile of, “Can you just not?” categories.Lindsay Woods: If my children feel I’m doing it wrong then I must be doing it right

In honour of our Made in Munster special edition, Joe McNamee creates a four-course meal showcasing the best produce from the province. And there’s a lot to celebrate.The Menu's Made in Munster six course dinner - One from each county

More From The Irish Examiner