A woman has died following a fire at her home in Co Carlow.
The 50-year- old, named locally as Margaret Doyle, was pulled from the house by her son early yesterday morning.
James Doyle, 20, returned home at around 4.30am when he found his mother in the house at Mountain View in Hacketstown.
Fine Gael TD Pat Deering said the local community had been left reeling. “We can’t begin to imagine what her son must be going through,” Mr Deering said.
“For something like this to happen the day before Christmas Eve is justterribly, terribly sad.”
It is understood Ms Doyle and her son lived alone in the house. James made the discovery after returning home from a night out.
He pulled his mother from the house and she was later pronounced dead.
Mr Deering said it is believed Ms Doyle died from smoke inhalation.
Her body was taken to Waterford Regional Hospital where a postmortemexamination is expected to take place, when the cause of death will beconfirmed officially.
Meanwhile, gardaí have sealed off the area surrounding the home and launched a technical investigation.
A spokesman said early indications suggest the fire started accidentally.
Local county councillor Pat O’Toole extended his deepest sympathies to Jamesand the surrounding family.
He said he was shocked and saddened by the news.
“Something like this is an absolute tragedy any time of the year, but particularly at Christmas,” he said.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved