Ministers urge John Delaney to break silence on ticketing scandal

Two ministers have urged FAI chief executive John Delaney to break his silence on the Olympics ticket touting after police in Rio de Janeiro confirmed they want to speak with him in relation to the scandal.

Patrick O’Donovan, the junior sports minister, has backed the call from Agriculture Minister Michael Creed that anybody with information on the case should speak with Brazilian police as well as the inquiry in Ireland.

Earlier this week, Mr Creed said Mr Delaney, who is also vice-president of the Olympic Council of Ireland, must “live up to the spirit” of the OCI’s commitment to assist the Irish inquiry.

Yesterday morning, Mr Creed said Mr Delaney must confirm that he will co-operate, if asked.

And, while declining to name any individual, when asked about Mr Delaney at the launch of the inquiry’s terms of reference later yesterday, Mr O’Donovan repeated the view.

“We would fully expect from now on anybody who has any knowledge or any interest in this investigation would fully co-operate in it,” he said.

“We’re not of a mind to be naming individuals, but we would expect that anybody who has any level of knowledge in relation to this issue would co-operate.”

Agriculture Minister Michael Creed
Agriculture Minister Michael Creed

The ministerial pressure for Mr Delaney to publicly comment on the Olympics ticket-touting controversy came after he was named alongside five other individuals by Brazilian police on Sunday as people of interest to them as he is one of “the big guys in the OCI”.

Meanwhile, at least three OCI member groups, including one of the “top five” sports organisations in the country, have contacted a government TD to say they want Pat Hickey permanently removed.

Patrick O’Donovan, the junior sports minister with Minister Shane Ross
Patrick O’Donovan, the junior sports minister with Minister Shane Ross

Speaking to the Irish Examiner after the OCI’s executive committee failed to fully back Mr Hickey on Monday, Fine Gael TD Noel Rock said the concern among some of the group’s senior officials is being repeated among grassroots organisations.

Mr Rock said three of these organisations — including one of the biggest in the country — have specifically said they now want Mr Hickey to resign permanently from his role.

More on this topic

Show touts a red cardShow touts a red card

Touting laws to be fast-tracked as it emerges tickets for England Six Nations clash selling for €2,000  Touting laws to be fast-tracked as it emerges tickets for England Six Nations clash selling for €2,000

The lights are on and the gig is over - touting is on the way outThe lights are on and the gig is over - touting is on the way out

Move against touts welcome - Ticket resale site closedMove against touts welcome - Ticket resale site closed


Lifestyle

As he prepares to stand down at Wexford Festival Opera, director David Agler tells Cathy Desmond about the highlights of his 15 years at the helmAll set for his swansong: Director David Agler highlights 15 years at Wexford Festival Opera

When it comes to Munster talent and entrepreneurship, our food, agriculture and tourism can be the first industries that come to mind.Making Cents: Plan for your pension direct from Skibbereen

Volunteers from the multinational tech company harvest food fresh from Fota Gardens, writes Peter Dowdall.Made in Munster: The tech giant Apple harvesting food from Fota Gardens

Peter Dowdall takes a look at a plant that thrives in damp soil and is a key part of Ireland’s biodiversityThe wonders of willows: A key part of Ireland’s biodiversity

More From The Irish Examiner