Italian authorities are expected to carry out a postmortem on the body of a man found on an inflatable boat carrying hundreds of migrants who were picked up by the Naval Service.
LÉ Róisín crewmembers found the dead man when they boarded a 12m-long dinghy packed with 123 migrants on Saturday.
The craft was boarded 28 nautical miles north-west of Tripoli.
His body was handed over to the Italian authorities yesterday morning when LÉ Róisín docked in the southern Italian port of Brindisi.
Immediately following the rescue of the 123 migrants, LÉ Róisín was re-tasked to rendezvous with an Italian ship, Bettica, which transferred a further 101 migrants to her.
A short time later LÉ Róisín came alongside the German ship Karlsruhe, which transferred another 123 migrants to her.
The naval service ship was then told by the Italian authorities to come into Brindisi where all 347 migrants and the body of the dead man were taken ashore yesterday morning.
Following that the crew refuelled, restocked and cleaned the ship before exiting the port last night on its way back to its area of operations, just off the Libyan coast.
Last year the Naval service rescued 8,631 migrants from the Mediterranean Sea. To date LÉ Róisín has taken onboard 643 migrants, bringing the total rescued to 9,274.
The UN refugee agency says at least 700 people are presumed drowned in the past few days after three migrant boats capsized.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved