Medical test ‘nearly worse than the rape’

A woman who was allegedly raped as a teenager during a night out has told a jury that the subsequent medical examination was nearly worse than the rape itself.

The first day of the trial of a Donegal man accused of raping the then 18-year-old also heard that he allegedly inflicted injuries which required her to go to hospital with severe bleeding.

The accused has pleaded not guilty at the Central Criminal Court to rape in a Donegal town in July 2012.

The now 22-year-old woman told the trial that the medical examination she underwent in a sexual assault treatment unit was “awful” and “nearly worse than the thing itself”.

“It was so intrusive, it made me feel disgusting and dirty,” she told Pauline Walley, prosecuting.

The woman said she went to a nightclub with several friends where she ran into the accused. She knew him and had kissed him four or five times before but never had sexual intercourse with him she said.

She wanted to go outside to make a phone call and the accused offered to go with her. Once outside, he said he wanted to use an ATM and led her up an alley which had no street lights, she said.

She said that, at this point, the man “put me against a wall” and started kissing her, “which was fine”. She said he then started digitally penetrating her. When he tried to make her touch him, she responded “no, not here, there’s no way this is happening here”.

She said he then had sex with her against her will while holding her arms at her sides. She said she tried to make herself as rigid as possible but he was too strong for her. This lasted less than a minute and afterwards she noticed she was bleeding.

“The pain was unbelievable, it was so bad,” she said. “I couldn’t scream, I was paralysed.”

“I was in shock, I was in so much pain. I knew I could scream all I wanted and nobody would hear me.”

Asked if she consented to sexual intercourse, she replied: “I said right from the start that this wasn’t happening here. He knew fine rightly that I didn’t want that to happen.”

She said she met up with friends nearby and told them she had been raped. They took her to the hospital and gardaí were alerted.

She said she felt “terrified” later that day and regretted going to the hospital because “it all became so formal then.”

The trial continues before Mr Justice Tony Hunt and a jury of seven men and five women.


The biennial festival in Cork produced another unique feast of fine music and good vibes.Sounds from a Safe Harbour brings fine music and good vibes to Cork

Here are five things to check out in the week ahead.5 things for the week ahead

A reader from Ovens recently got in touch to voice concern about the dead horse chestnut treesBleeding canker disease hitting beloved ‘conker’ tree hard

As the weather turns cooler, people will be paying over the counter for cures for seasonal colds and sniffles. But we don’t have to look far for free vitamin C.Time is ripe for this berry

More From The Irish Examiner