FOREIGN Affairs Minister Micheál Martin is to meet with the Papal Nuncio to Ireland to discuss the Vatican’s failure to supply information to the Dublin archdiocese abuse inquiry.
It follows a meeting between the Papal Nuncio, Archbishop Giuseppe Leanza, and the secretary general of Mr Martin’s department on Wednesday.
In a statement last night, the department said the Papal Nuncio had “called at his own request” on the secretary-general, David Cooney.
As a result of that meeting, it has been agreed Mr Martin will meet with the Papal Nuncio early next week.
“I will be meeting the Papal Nuncio to discuss the commission’s findings as well as the issue of the cooperation with the commission,” said Mr Martin.
In its report published last week, the commission highlighted how the Vatican and Papal Nuncio had failed to respond to requests for information on abuse cases.
During a Dáil debate on the report yesterday, the Papal Nuncio was criticised by several TDs.
“Consider the discourtesy of the head of the Vatican, parading around Ireland in his wonderful glitzy clothes but not replying to letters,” said FF TD Mary O’Rourke.
Labour TD Pat Rabbitte accused the Papal Nuncio of being “contemptuous”.
Meanwhile, 14 priests in the Diocese of Cork and& Ross have been investigated over abuse allegations and the diocese has paid out €152,368 in compensation to victims.
Bishop John Buckley said allegations against clergy covered the period from 1970 to this year. He did not clarify whether the 14 priests were still in active service or if any criminal charges were brought.
The family of Peter McCloskey, who was raped as a child by a priest, and in adulthood took his own life, have demanded that Bishop of Limerick Donal Murray step aside.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved