Northern Ireland’s deputy first minister Martin McGuinness was not “kept in the dark” over the highly controversial £1.2bn (€1.6bn) sale of Nama’s largest ever property portfolio, new Department of Finance records show.
More than 40 Department of Finance files released late last night before a Dáil public accounts committee meeting this morning confirm that Mr McGuinness and then first minister Peter Robinson were fully aware of the Project Eagle move in January 2014.
The issue contradicts Mr McGuinness’s Stormont inquiry claims last week that he was “kept in the dark”.
Document 39, available at finance.gov.ie, is a note on a January 14, 2014, conference call between Finance Minister Michael Noonan, Mr McGuinness and Mr Robinson to outline the progress of the lucrative Nama assets sale.
It states the two Northern politicians requested the call “to discuss any potential progress towards a sale” and the knock-on effect it would have to the North’s economy.
In the meeting Mr Robinson “reiterated the comfort provided by the commitments Pimco had made to the Northern Ireland Executive through a letter of intent regarding their management of the assets if they were a successful acquirer”.
Last week, Mr McGuinness told a Stormont investigation he was unaware of negotiations.
Last night he said the department’s record is “totally and absolutely wrong” and that he was not aware of a separate letter from Mr Robinson’s officials outlining the sale.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved