A High Court judge ruled that a 19-year-old man with cerebral palsy must accept a periodic settlement payment for five years even though he and his family pleaded to finish their medical negligence case with a final lump sum payment.
Mr Justice Bernard Barton said it would be “catastrophic in another sense” if he were to finalise the case of Connor Corroon, Mallow, Co Cork, who was injured at birth, with a final capital lump sum payment and the money ran out when he got older.
Last week Connor’s mother pleaded with the court on her son’s behalf to finally finish the case, as she said the last four years when they have had to come back to court for interim payouts as “horrendous”.
She added that her son, who hopes to go to university, now wants somebody to listen to him that he wants to get on with his life and not have the “fishbowl” life where he has had to undergo more than 20 assessments by different experts.
Connor, the court previously heard, suffered catastrophic injuries during the circumstances of his birth and is permanently disabled, cannot speak and will require care for the rest of his life.
Four years ago, he was given an interim payment of over €1.6m as part settlement of his medical negligence action against City General Hospital Cork and Dr Pallany Pillay, both of Infirmary Rd, Cork, arising out of the circumstances of his birth on February 6, 1995. Another payout of €475,000 was made last year.
Liability was conceded and partially settled with the interim payments totalling over €2m and is now before the court for assessment of Connor’s future care needs.
The case continues.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved