A Congolese national has been remanded in custody after he was charged in relation to the disappearance of almost €60,000 from a US multinational in Cork City earlier this year.
Dadibaku Ngnupumu, aged 47, with an address at Gillabbey St, Cork, appeared before a special sitting of Cork District Court on Saturday morning. He was charged with operating a computer to make gain for himself or cause loss to another of €57,257 at Avery Dennison at Cork Airport Business Park on Feb 22.
He was charged with the offence contrary to section 9 of the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act 2001.
Detective Garda Aongus Cotter gave evidence of arrest, charge, and caution in the case. He told Judge Olan Kelleher that Ngnupumu replied: “I agree with what you said,” when the charge was put to him.
Gardaí applied to have Ngnupumu remanded in custody pending the directions of the DPP to appear again at Cork District Court on Wednesday. He will appear by video link from Cork Prison.
Insp Eileen Foster told Judge Kelleher it was quite a serious charge. The court heard that it was likely more serious charges would also be brought against him.
Peter Quigley, defending, said he wouldn’t be making an application for bail at this juncture.
Judge Kelleher said he would reserve his decision on free legal aid in the case pending the submission of a statement of means.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved