A 24-year-old man has been charged with making a threat to kill a barrister in an alleged incident at the Four Courts in Dublin last year.
Gary Howard, of Emerald Street in inner city Dublin, and Dunsoghly Grove, Finglas, is alleged to have made “a threat to kill or cause serious harm” to a female barrister.
The threat was allegedly made at Court 6 in the Four Courts building on Aug 16, 2011, with an intention to make the lawyer believe it would be carried out.
Mr Howard was charged at Dublin District Court yesterday under Section Five of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Persons Act.
Gda Steven Mullen told Judge Denis McLoughlin that Mr Howard was arrested yesterday morning.
At the Bridewell Garda Station, “he made no reply to this charge,” said Gda Mullen.
A state solicitor told Judge McLoughlin that the DPP has directed Mr Howard is to face “trial on indictment”, meaning the case is to be sent forward to the Circuit Court.
Mr Howard, who was wearing a black tracksuit, did not address the court at the hearing and did not indicate how he intended to plead to the charge.
There was no bail application and the judge remanded Mr Howard in custody to appear again at Cloverhill District Court on June 6 pending the preparation of a book of evidence.
Legal aid was granted after the court heard Mr Howard was unemployed.
Conviction could mean up to 10 years in jail.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved