Lovers jailed for life for brutally killing Irishman

A young mother who laughed as she kicked and punched a Co Waterford man before leaving him for dead in a skip has been jailed for life.

Fiona Nalty, 24, started beating up “happy drunk” Mick Hunt, 37, after he tried to chat her up during a night out in South Norwood, south London, on March 15.

Her lover, father-of-three Arry Green, 22, joined in even though the victim did nothing to defend himself and begged them to stop.

Five hours after the attack, a member of the public found Mr Hunt in an alleyway, severely injured, naked, unconscious, and barely breathing. He died in hospital the same day.

After a trial at the Old Bailey, the pair were found guilty of murder andjailed for life for a minimum of 19 years for the “brutal, sustained, and lethal attack”.

Judge Richard Kramer told them: “What you did was shocking and totally unjustified. Although you were drinking, you acted together and I am satisfiedeach of you knew perfectly well what you were doing.”

He said the offence was compounded by the humiliation of removing Mr Hunt’s clothes and the fact that the “much-loved son and partner” had suffered for hours in the skip before he was found.

The judge said that whatever the truth of their sexual relationship with each other, and whether or not Mr Hunt had made advances, Nalty and Green were “equally responsible” for the fatal assault.

The family of Mr Hunt wept and hugged each other as the pair were sent down from the dock to start their sentences.

During the trial, prosecutor David Jeremy QC said that, on the night of the murder, Mr Hunt had been drinking at the Port Manor pub, where he was seen to be to be dancing and enjoying himself.

However, the night toured sour when he met the defendants at a nearby off-licence, where one witness thought the victim had tried to “chat up” Nalty.

She then began punching and pushing Mr Hunt around outside, and Green weighed in with a punch because he did not like the idea of the victim fighting a girl, even though he was not retaliating, the court heard.

Green then suggested to Nalty, a mother of one, that they should go into anearby alleyway to “sort this out”, the court heard.

The attack was witnessed by a 15-year-old boy who saw Nalty and Green kicking Mr Hunt as he lay on the floor trying to protect himself and begging “stop, please stop”.

The boy heard Nalty laughing as he turned away because he could not bear to watch, Mr Jeremy told jurors.

When the defendants emerged from the alleyway, the witness heard Nalty say “we fucked him up bad”, jurors were told.

The victim, who was originally from Co Waterford but lived with his mother in Selhurst in south London, had suffered from depression and anxiety and been a heroin user in the past.

However, Mr Jeremy said that, despite being “a drinker”, Mr Hunt was known as “a friendly man who was not aggressive or violent”.

The victim was found at 7am that day, the prosecutor said: “Mr Hunt was lying in the skip on top of builders’ rubbish. He was completely naked save for a bandana around his neck. These defendants must have removed his clothing as an act of humiliation.

“Mr Hunt was still breathing in a laboured fashion but was unresponsive and cold to the touch. Police noticed the large number of abrasions and cuts to his body. His face was very swollen and his eyes were closed.”

Police wrapped him in a blanket to keep him warm before the ambulance arrived, but Mr Hunt died later that morning at King’s College Hospital.

An autopsy showed Mr Hunt suffered injuries consistent with kicking and stamping. He suffered a skull fracture as well as a broken nose, cheekbone, and rib.


A travel show in Turkey and a look a the science of Coronavirus are among today's top picks.Thursday's TV highlights: Travelling in Turkey and the science of Coronavirus among today's top picks

More From The Irish Examiner