Kevin James Mallon refuses to answer police questions on ticket fraud scandal

Kevin James Mallon 'preferred to remain silent'.

The Irish ticketing executive at the heart of the Olympic touting investigation last night refused to answer questions from police in Brazil, according to the detective leading the probe.

Kevin James Mallon, 36, was quizzed for 40 minutes by detectives probing the €3m scandal that saw the arrest of Olympic Council of Ireland president Pat Hickey.

“As he [Mr Mallon] is already indicted, he has the constitutional right to remain silent,” said detective Ricardo Barboza de Souza. “He preferred to remain silent, but either way the questions were put to him.”

Mr Mallon, an executive of hospitality firm THG Sports, was first arrested on August 5 at a hotel in Rio de Janeiro, with 823 high-end tickets in his possession.

Like Mr Hickey, he has been released from the Bangu 10 jail while criminal proceedings continue.

Arriving at the headquarters of Rio de Janeiro’s Civil Police with his lawyer Franklin Gomes yesterday, Mr Mallon told reporters: “I have nothing to say.”

Kevin James Mallon refuses to answer police questions on ticket fraud scandal

He continued to refuse to answer questions once inside the interview room.

Det Barboza said: “The fact that he did not speak does not invalidate and does not hinder the other evidence we have already collected.”

“He has been charged with facilitating ticket touting, illegal marketing, and forming a criminal cartel. He had already been interviewed as he was arrested on the day of the opening ceremony.

“But since then the police have made several enquiries, searches, seizures, important material was collected. Based on the content of this material, we identified the need for him to be interviewed again.”

Police will interview Mr Hickey, 71, today and said their investigations will conclude on Thursday.

Pat Hickey
Pat Hickey

“We already have extensive documentary evidence and analysis of the seized material was of great relevance to the investigation. On Thursday, this investigation will be complete and all the facts will be presented to the court.”

Both Mr Mallon and Mr Hickey have had their passports confiscated. Police said they were keen that they remain in Brazil for the duration of proceedings, though Det Barboza accepted this would be a matter for the courts to decide.

Last Monday, a judge ordered Mr Hickey’s release from prison, citing his “critical health condition”. Mr Mallon had been released a few days earlier. Both are staying at apartments in the city while the investigation continues.

The pair are accused of facilitating touting, which carries a sentence of two to four years, forming a criminal cartel, which has a sentence of between one and three, and illicit marketing, which carries a sentence of six months to one year.

More on this topic

Show touts a red cardShow touts a red card

Touting laws to be fast-tracked as it emerges tickets for England Six Nations clash selling for €2,000  Touting laws to be fast-tracked as it emerges tickets for England Six Nations clash selling for €2,000

The lights are on and the gig is over - touting is on the way outThe lights are on and the gig is over - touting is on the way out

Move against touts welcome - Ticket resale site closedMove against touts welcome - Ticket resale site closed


Lifestyle

Mountaintop monasteries, vicious-looking vultures, and a seriously impressive cable car.As Ryanair launches flights to Armenia, here’s why it deserves to be your next holiday destination

Jools Holland and his Rhythm & Blues Orchestra played a storming gig at Cork Opera House, writes Des O'Driscoll Live Music Review: Jools Holland and his Rhythm & Blues Orchestra

Concerns about people’s ability to access their own money have been growing – here’s what the debate is all about.Are we actually going to end up as a cashless society?

Everything entertainment you need to look out forScene & Heard: Everything entertainment you need to look out for

More From The Irish Examiner