Taoiseach Enda Kenny has expressed confidence in one of his TDs who was arrested and questioned about an alleged assault in a bar.
Mr Kenny was asked repeatedly whether he had confidence in Cavan-Monaghan TD Sean Conlon, but replied that he was not able to speculate on allegations.
Gardaí confirmed earlier this month that Mr Conlon was questioned in relation to an alleged assault which took place in his pub in Ballybay, Co Monaghan, on August 23.
Mr Conlon said in a statement that he had presented himself at Castleblayney Garda Station in Co Monaghan. He was questioned in connection with the incident, which resulted in a man in his 20s being arrested.
The TD said he gave a statement of complaint to the gardaí about “the assault, which was perpetrated on me in my family pub last Sunday”.
Asked about the matter yesterday, Mr Kenny said that three Fine Gael candidates were selected to run in the general election in the constituency. He said that Mr Conlon was one of them and, as such, he had confidence in him.
“I can’t speculate on allegations that are circulating in the media,” the Taoiseach added.
Mr Kenny also said that “obviously the law will take its course”.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved