An Irish musician who drank from the same cup as poisoned ex-Russian spy Alexander Litvinenko has said he fells lucky to be alive.

Derek Conlon, originally from Glasnevin in Dublin, performed in the bar area of the Millennium Hotel in Mayfair, London, just an hour after it was the scene of the poisoning of Litvinenko, a pronounced critic of Russian President Vladimir Putin, on November 1, 2006.

Litvinenko died 21 days later after it emerged he had been poisoned with Polonium-210, a rare and highly radioactive element.

A public inquiry into his death was conducted in the UK and its findings were published last week, including the claim Litvinenko was probably murdered on the personal orders of President Putin.

It also said two Russian agents, Andrei Lugovoi and Dmitry Kovtun, were behind the poisoning.

Alexander Litvinenko
Alexander Litvinenko

Mr Conlon yesterday revealed, even almost a decade after the incident, he still has to undergo medical tests every six months to ensure he did not suffer any long-term effects from exposure to radiation.

He was diagnosed with significant exposure to polonium, even though he was not in the bar at the time Litvinenko was poisoned.

“It was bad luck initially, or good luck, I don’t know,” he told the Ryan Tubridy RTÉ radio show.

The Dubliner said in the days after the incident no-one was quite sure what had happened, but the bar in the hotel was sealed off.

He found out later, than anyone who had been in the vicinity at the time, he had needed to go and undergo testing.

“I went along and got tested and found out I had one of the highest levels of radiation poisoning,” he said.

“I thought it was a joke initially, police told me initially it wasn’t airborne, it couldn’t go through paper.

“It turned out apparently the dishwasher was broken and I drank from the same cup that he [Litvinenko] had drank from.”

The Pine Bar in the Millennium Hotel in London where Alexander Litvinenko was poisoned.
The Pine Bar in the Millennium Hotel in London where Alexander Litvinenko was poisoned.

He said tests showed that significant traces of the radioactive element were found on his clothes, musical equipment, and PA system, and also back in his own home.

“We had science boffins with their white coats and geiger counters come in, that’s where I discovered about my clothes,” he said.

Mr Conlon, who has played music around the world and who recently recorded a new album, said these developments were “a shock”, but said even though exposure to Polonium-210 does increase the risk of contracting cancers, he had never shown any ill effects.

He said of the November 2006 incident: “It was a reckless act.

“I don’t even know these guys knew what they were doing when they did it.”


Lifestyle

Food news with Joe McNameeThe Menu: Upcoming food highlights

THE health properties of tea have long been advertised. “It maketh the body active and lusty” a 1660 promotion suggested. However, before you dunk your teabag into a mug of steaming water, spare a thought for the environment. Some have polypropylene to help to seal them and it doesn’t decompose.Storm in a teacup: Top 8 loose-leaf teas

Bestselling author Isabel Allende talks to Rowena Walsh about life, grief, and why it’s never too late to fall in loveIsabel Allende: It's never too late to fall in love

Cliffs of Moher Retreat owner Michelle Moroney has written a book on finding self-worth and stepping back from our 24/7 lives. She talks to Marjorie Brennan about the need to unwindMichelle Moroney highlights the need to take stock of our lives

More From The Irish Examiner