So, what does the fox say? Its Norwegian creators would probably respond “money, money, money” after the parody music video was yesterday named the top trending video around the world and in Ireland this year.
'The Fox’ by Ylvis — a comedy duo from Bergen known to their mum as Vegard and Bård Ylvisåker — only launched the music video on YouTube in September. As of yesterday it had been viewed 276,313,218 times.
Marrying glossy MTV-style music video cliches with freaky woodland dancing by people dressed as animals, the appeal of the clip has stretched far beyond Norway.
The clip pushed the original army edition of the ‘Harlem Shake’, with a mere 95m-plus views, into second place in the world charts, while MisterEpicMann’s amusing clip ‘How Animals Eat Their Food’ — featuring much destruction of tables — was in third place with almost 89m views.
In the top 10 Irish trending chart for this year, Ylvis were also number one, but it was Sminky Shorts from Cork and its animation featuring a hilarious and expletive-laden exchange between an elephant in self-denial and a bird that claimed second place.
In third place in the Irish charts was The Republic of Telly’s ‘You know you’re Irish when...’ sketch, ahead of the MisterEpicMann’s animals clip.
The top 10 in Ireland had a strong homegrown vibe, with sixth place going to Eoin Duffy, an Irishman based in Canada who wished his mother a happy birthday in the style of everyone’s favourite gangster psychopath, Nidge.
Ron Burgundy’s online references to the Love/Hate finale, the ‘Get Lucky’ Dame St taxi driver in Dublin, and the no-then-yes New Orleans Rose wedding proposal during the Rose of Tralee also gave the Irish top 10 a distinctly green flavour.
The trending charts take into account views, likes, and the number of times a clip has been shared across social media.
Kevin Allocca, head of culture and trends at YouTube, said: “While each annual list is unpredictable, trending videos just get bigger each year. And with 80% of all views on YouTube coming from outside the US, the global community is driving pop culture unlike ever before.”
The Irish Top Ten trending clips of 2013:
* 1. Ylvis — The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?), tvnorge.
* 2. Sminky Shorts — Elephant.
* 3. Republic of Telly — You know you’re Irish when...
* 4. MisterEpicMann — How Animals Eat Their Food.
* 5. McFly’s Tom Fletcher — My wedding speech.
* 6. Eoin Duffy — wishing his Ma ‘happy birthday’ Nidge-style.
* 7. Ron Burgundy on Love/Hate series finale.
* 8. Class Dublin Taxi Driver.
* 9. Britain’s Got Talent —Attraction shadow show.
* 10. Rose of Tralee 2013 — New Orleans Rose wedding proposal.
Top trending videos of 2013:
* 1. Ylvis — The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?).
* 2. Harlem Shake (Original Army Edition).
* 3. How Animals Eat Their Food — MisterEpicMann.
* 4. Miley Cyrus — Wrecking Ball (Chatroulette Version).
* 5. Baby & Me/the new Evian film, EvianBabies.
* 6. Volvo Trucks — The Epic Split feat. Van Damme.
* 7. YOLO (feat. Adam Levine & Kendrick Lamar), thelonelyisland.
* 8. Telekinetic Coffee Shop Surprise, CarrieNYC.
* 9. The NFL: A Bad Lip Reading, BadLipReading.
* 10. Mozart vs Skrillex. Epic Rap Battles of History Season 2, ERB.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved