A DECISION by the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation (INMO) not to co-operate with the HSE on the opening of a €16.4 million community hospital in Dingle could further delay the opening, scheduled for July 27.
The HSE, which expressed its disappointment at an INMO vote against the transfer of services from the old Dingle hospital, yesterday said it wants an urgent Labour Court hearing.
The INMO is unhappy with staffing arrangements at the 68-bed hospital and is looking for 25 extra personnel. Union president Sheila Dickson said the new building had a different layout and had far more demands on staff.
But the HSE said a substantial set of measures had been put forward to address the union’s concerns, with an extra 10 staff to work in the new facility.
“These additional 10 staff, along with the existing cohort of staff, ensure appropriate care can be provided for the 43 patients transferring to the new facility as well as taking account of three extra beds which will come on stream with immediate effect,” said an HSE spokesperson.
The HSE appealed to staff to co-operate with the transfer of patients.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved