Indaver, which was previously refused planning permission for an incinerator in Cork Harbour, is to lodge another application next week for a €160m incinerator in Ringaskiddy.
The company has confirmed it intends to resubmit the application because it believes recent changes to waste management plans will support the proposed development.
As the application is viewed as strategic infrastructure development (SID), a decision on whether to grant it will be up to An Bord Pleanála and not Cork County Council.
Indaver managing director John Ahern said recent changes to waste management and development plans show Ireland has an infrastructural gap, and needs to become more self-sufficient in managing its waste and start treating waste as a resource: “We currently rely heavily on export [of waste] which is not sustainable and exposes us to market shocks. Indaver’s proposed development is the type of strategic infrastructure Ireland needs.
“Our waste-to-energy technology treats non-recyclable waste as a resource and recovers electricity and other valuable materials from it. Waste-to-energy produces an indigenous energy resource.”
Mr Ahern said the company is an experienced and innovative organisation which built and runs Ireland’s first waste-to-energy facility in Meath.
“It’s been operating successfully since 2011 and treats the same sort of waste that will be accepted by the proposed development in Ringaskiddy.”
Chase (Cork Harbour for a Safe Environment), which has fought Indaver’s plans for a number of years, confirmed it would contest the latest application.
Chase said the pre-Christmas decision by An Bord Pleanála that Indaver’s proposed development constitutes an SID has paved the way for Indaver to proceed with lodging the application.
The organisation claimed An Bord Pleanála’s decision concludes over three years of engagement with Indaver.
It said the process was opened by Indaver on August 30, 2012, with a request to the board for a determination in relation to the SID status or otherwise of its proposed waste management facility, which would burn both hazardous and non-hazardous waste.
Chase chairwoman Mary O’Leary said once the planning application is submitted, the local community will only have a six-week period to analyse, process, and make submissions.
She said it’s expected the new application would focus heavily on the previous June 2011 reasons for refusal of planning by An Bord Pleanála, which Ms O’Leary said included inadequate flood risk and coastal erosion mitigation measures.
She said recent damage caused by Storm Frank to Indaver’s Gobby Beach boundary, along with general flooding “highlights the extensive vulnerability of the overall area and gives good grounds for this concern”.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved