A FIFTH man has appeared in an Australian court charged over the assault of Corkman David Keohane in August 2008.
Paula Ahomana Naa was charged with concealing a serious indictable offence and hindering a police inquiry. The 26-year-old was remanded in custody after being refused bail at Parramatta Bail Court.
David Keohane was in a coma for seven months and in hospital for more than a year after being attacked in the seaside suburb of Coogee in August 2008.
They beat the then 29-year-old so severely that almost every bone in his face was fractured, and doctors did not expect him to survive. His family brought him back to Ireland in September 2009.
One of those responsible, Thomas Isaako, was caught soon after the assault and was sentenced to 14 years in jail.
However, the man accused of being his accomplice Kane Desmond Tupuolamoui, was only just caught. He was charged with inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent to murder and aggravated robbery over the attack and is due to appear in court again on September 2.
Paula Ahomana Naa, a Harvey Norman employee, was arrested at a warehouse in Alexandria. He is allegedly responsible for helping Tupuolamoui reach Darwin through local contacts.
At his court appearance it emerged that detectives had been listening to Naa’s phonecalls for months and intercepted a number of key conversations including one in which is alleged to have told Tupuolamoui: “Watch the six o’clock news. They are looking for you.”
New South Wales police commander, Superintendent Gavin Dengate said: “Since August 2008, they [officers] have been determined to bring anyone involved in the Keohane matter before the courts.”
The case has been adjourned to July 28.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved