SIPTU will tomorrow, for a second time, ballot its members on cutbacks proposed for Dublin Bus.
The members have already rejected Labour Court proposals put forward last month.
However, following meetings the court held with the company and unions last week, the court agreed to create a new document clarifying its recommendation.
After receiving the document yesterday, SIPTU branch organiser Willie Noone said: “It has dealt with a number of issues which we raised with the court and is positive from our point of view. We will be holding a series of information meetings at the garages and will then ballot our members on Thursday.”
The Labour Court had previously recommended Dublin Bus go ahead without delay with plans to take 120 buses out of service.
It also proposed changes to current paid meal break arrangements for drivers, which, the company believed, could generate savings in the region of e350,000. However, the court also recommended that weekend overtime earning potential for drivers be increased. It also said there should be no dilution of current shift pay arrangements. There have been numerous threats by both the National Bus and Rail Union (NBRU) and SIPTU to grind services in Dublin to a halt over the company’s cutbacks. However, each time the action has been imminent the parties have agreed to enter discussions.
Dublin Bus faces losses of up to e31m if the cutbacks are not implemented.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved