An injunction preventing interference with the upgrading of electrical facilities at a halting site in Cork was continued at Cork Circuit Court yesterday.
Cork City Council employed a contractor to deal with hazardous electrical supply facilities at Spring Lane halting site in Cork.
The council’s barrister, Pearse Sreenan, obtained an injunction to prevent named parties — and anyone with knowledge of the injunction — from interfering with the work on the site.
“Cork City Council is seeking to upgrade electrical facilities for safety reasons,” Mr Sreenan said.
It is understood that work on fuse boards and on the provision of underground ducting to prevent unsafe practices of running cables over ground. Mr Sreenan said contractors had difficulties in carrying out the works due to alleged obstruction by named residents. The injunction preventing any obstruction of the works was granted against several named defendants during the summer.
Yesterday, Mr Sreenan said: “Since the order of the court was made, the works are proceeding but, unfortunately, not with the same degree of expedition that the council had hoped.”
However, Judge David Riordan was told the named defendants, who live at Spring Lane halting site, were not obstructing the work. Mr Sreenan said that others, not named in the proceedings, had been interfering with the work.
The council’s barrister said that the court order against obstructing the electrical safety works did not just apply to the defendants named in the injunctive proceedings, but to anyone who had knowledge of the order.
Mr Sreenan asked for the injunction to remain in place, so as not to lose momentum with the safety works on the site.
Judge Riordan adjourned the case until November 5, with the injunctive order to remain in force until then.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved