Forensic analysis has delayed the trial of a lodger accused of the murder of his landlord Tom O’Gorman, the well-known religious affairs writer.
Italian national Saverio Bellante, 34, appeared again yesterday at Cloverhill District Court having been earlier charged with the murder of the journalist and pro-life campaigner, at his home in the north Dublin suburb of Castleknock, in January.
At an earlier stage in the proceedings it emerged that the Director of Public Prosecutions has directed that the accused man is to be tried “on indictment on a single count of murder” meaning he faces a Central Criminal Court trial.
But that cannot take place until the book of evidence has been completed and handed over to the defence.
Yesterday, Mr Bellante, wearing blue jeans and a grey striped jumper, greeted Judge Victor Blake saying “good morning”. He remained on his feet for the brief hearing.
A State solicitor then explained, “this is a very serious charge, a murder charge” and she added that “unfortunately the book isn’t ready.” She also said a number of statements in relation to “forensic analysis” were awaited.
Judge Blake said he would not give a four-week adjournment, but was further remanding the accused in custody “for service of the book of evidence on the 31st of July”.
Mr Bellante had been originally remanded in custody on January 13.
An earlier court sitting had heard that it was “an extremely complex investigation file”. Detective Garda Patrick Traynor had said there were “165 investigative tasks inquiries
On March 26, an inquest into Mr O’Gorman’s death opened but was adjourned pending the outcome of criminal proceedings. State Pathologist Prof Marie Cassidy told the inquest that the preliminary cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head and a stab wound to the neck and chest.