Film-maker told to leave court

Documentary film-maker Gemma O’Doherty was ordered out of a court yesterday when she offered to give evidence in a case involving three members of one family.

Ms O’Doherty, who is showing her documentary on Ireland’s longest-missing person, six-year-old Mary Boyle, in towns around Ireland, was ordered out of Ballyshannon District Court by Judge Kevin Kilrane when he was threatening to jail one member of a family, Joe McNulty, for contempt of court.

Ms O’Doherty stepped from the back of the court as Mr McNulty was asking the judge to make a letter from a deceased garda, Michael Lawless, available for his defence and that of his father Thomas McNulty and mother Florence McNulty.

Ms O’Doherty said: “I think as an Irish citizen I have a right to give evidence in relation to this letter.”

The judge, who said this was the first time the letter had been mentioned after a series of adjournments for discoveries, said discovery was now closed.

He ordered Ms O’Doherty out of the court.

Her interruption in the case came during a series of allegations by the McNulty family, including a claim of injustice, and about the charges being on file since February 2014 despite their efforts to get a hearing.

Thomas McNulty, 58, and his son Joseph, 34, both of Bundoran, are accused of threatening behaviour to provoke a breach of the peace in Bundoran on February 10, 2014.

Ms McNulty, 57, is also accused of assaulting Garda Helen Munnelly on the same date.

She said: “We need that letter to defend ourselves. Michael Lawless was a good, honest garda.

“He talked about untouchables,” she added.

The family’s defence solicitor James Corbett told the court that he was withdrawing from representation.

Ms McNulty said: “We are getting legal advice from Gemma O’Doherty.”

Judge Kilrane adjourned the hearing to September 30 and requested gardaí to attempt to find the letter.


Lifestyle

These are the nail hues to choose this season, says Katie Wright.Perfectly polished: 5 autumn/winter nail trends you’ll actually want to wear

This early 19th-century table is one of a number of Irish lots at Sotheby’s Style, Furniture and Ceramics sale in New York on Thursday (October 24).Irish lots poised to add bite to Big Apple sale

Something for all at Hegarty’s auction in Bandon, says Des O’SullivanSomething for all at Hegarty’s auction in Bandon

Des O’Sullivan gives a preview of the Irish selection on offer at two sales in DublinPreview of the Irish selection on offer at two sales in Dublin

More From The Irish Examiner