A month after flash flooding wreaked havoc on this house, its residents are still using buckets to capture the water pouring into their home.
Cork City Council have told Norman Jones he is on a list for house repairs but they only have one set of scaffolding which is currently at use elsewhere.
So Norman and his wife Eileen has no choice but to keep on changing buckets of water as rainwater pours in a hole in the bedroom ceiling.
He now fears the downstairs of the house will also be damaged as he has noticed some discolouration on a ground floor ceiling.
“An engineer has taken pictures of the damage and a foreman, from the council, also came and had a look around. They’re telling me that the water came in through a hole in the back of the chimney stack. However, due to their failure to do anything, the water has now lodged in the insulated boards used to plaster the house. You can see yellow staining on the ceiling downstairs,” he said.
“We were asleep on the night of June 27, when my 11-year-old daughter Rebecca came into my room to say that she could hear water. We rang the city council as soon as we could but nothing has been done since. We’re at our wits end as we’ve spent lots of our own money on this house and don’t want to see everything ruined.”
The family live at Sunview Court, Sun Valley Drive, on the city’s northside.
“Two weeks ago, we were told that somebody would be over in two or three days. Now we can’t even get a date for the repairs. We’re just being told to be patient. I have nobody to turn to. When I try and contact anyone at City Hall, everyone seems to be on holidays. I cannot understand how a local authority could only have one set of scaffolding.”
A Cork City Council spokesman was unavailable for comment yesterday.
Last month, the Department of the Environment announced a special grant of €700,000 for Cork City, County and Clonakilty Town councils to help with the “exceptional costs” incurred as a result of the flooding.
However, county mayor Barbara Murray has said the level of funding offered won’t “scratch the surface”.
An early warning flood text alert system is to be introduced in Cork city after last month’s devastating flooding which led to four foot of flooding and millions of euro of damage in parts of Douglas and Blackpool.
The city council plans to procure flood barriers for its own houses and tenants in high-risk flood areas. But it has ruled out granting a rates holiday to flood-stricken businesses.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved