€50,000 for girl left scarred after soup fell on her

Charlene Tola accepted the damages on behalf of her daughter. Picture: Courts Collins

A four-year-old schoolgirl who was left scarred after she was burnt on the chest by hot soup in a crèche, has been awarded €50,000 damages in the Circuit Civil Court.

Barrister Justin McQuade told the court that Priscilla Tchokoualeu Tola was still a baby in October 2011 when she attended the Little Harvard Crèche at Captain’s Hill, Leixlip, Co Kildare.

Mr McQuade told Circuit Court President Mr Justice Raymond Groarke that a bowl of hot soup had been left by a crèche worker within Priscilla’s reach.

Priscilla, who was one at the time, had pulled the bowl towards herself and the hot liquid had spilled on her, burning her chest. She had been taken to her GP and the burn had been dressed.

The court heard the wound had left a visible 6cm by 7cm scar on Priscilla’s chest.

Through her mother Charlene Tola, of Hillview Heights, Clane, Co Kildare, Priscilla sued Little Harvard Childcare Ltd, with a registered office at c/o Houlihan Cushnahan & Co, Adelaide Road, Glasthule, Co Dublin, for negligence and breach of duty.

She claimed the crèche had failed to supervise her adequately and to take reasonable care.

Mr McQuade told Judge Groarke that a settlement offer of €50,000 had been made. The judge approved it.


Lifestyle

A scientific study has found that the teatime treat is just as effective as shop-bought energy gels.You might want to swap your energy gels for mashed potato on your next run

We catch up with Bushmills’ master distiller, who tells Sam Wylie-Harris more about this liquid gold.Irish whiskey masterclass: 11 things you need to know

Temples, beaches, and several nations with new names.From Bhutan to Costa Rica, Lonely Planet reveals its top countries to visit in 2020

Columnist and trained counsellor Fiona Caine offers guidance to a woman who’s unsure how to manage her mother’s dying wishes.Ask a counsellor: ‘Is it appropriate to notify my mother’s friends of her death by email?’

More From The Irish Examiner