A woman who met a man online was found dead in his bed the next morning, an inquest has heard. Margaret Crowley, 37, of St Colman’s Place, Buttevant, Co Cork, joined ‘social discovery’ website Tagged where she met Brian Glass, from Tallaght in Dublin.
Both had a child around the same age and had previous problems with heroin addiction, Dublin Coroner’s Court heard. Ms Crowley travelled from Mallow to Dublin where she met Mr Glass at Heuston Station on August 13, 2014. They went to Mr Glass’s father’s house in Tallaght around 8pm.
Mr Glass denied they had taken heroin at his father’s house but said he panicked when he returned to his bedroom the following morning. He tried to administer chest compressions before phoning his sister for advice and then called an ambulance.
Joe Brady of Dublin Fire Brigade arrived at the house at Avonmore Park at 11.10am on August 14, followed by gardaí five minutes later. Ms Crowley was pronounced dead at 12.15pm.
Speaking at the inquest, the deceased’s brother said heroin had reached “epidemic” levels in Mallow. Rachel O’Sullivan said her sister had heroin problems but to the family’s knowledge had overcome them.
“She was clean, she’d moved back home, she was good,” her sister said. The family were unaware of Ms Crowley’s online activity.
The cause of death was acute heroin toxicity together with other medications, including anti- depressants, xanax and diazepam. The coroner returned a verdict of death by misadventure.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved