Dublin canal attack teen on remand

A 15-year-old boy accused of taking part in a gang attack where a man was stabbed 20 times and forced into the Royal Canal in Dublin will be served with a book of evidence next week.

The youth, then aged 14 and who cannot be named because he is a minor, appeared at Dublin Children’s Court charged with assault causing harm to the man in his 30s in the early hours of May 18 last year.

Judge John O’Neill agreed to a request by the DPP’s solicitor to further adjourn the case until next week to allow more time for the book of evidence to be completed. Two co-defendants will also be before the court on August 30.

Earlier, it was decided that the case was too serious for the juvenile court and should be sent forward to the Circuit Court which can impose lengthier sentences.

Garda Eoin Treacy gave an outline of the allegations during a previous hearing. He had said the victim left a Phibsborough pub at about 4am with a friend and had been walking home along the canal bank in the vicinity of Croke Park. He sat down on a bench alone while his friend carried on.

Garda Treacy said it would be alleged the man was then set upon by four youths and was “stabbed 20 times”. The victim sustained 14 wounds to his back and more to a leg and an arm.

The cuts ranged in depth from 0.5cm to 4cm in length, the court heard, and were allegedly inflicted by a screwdriver later recovered from the canal.

The court heard that after the man was stabbed he was robbed of his wallet and then “pushed into the Royal Canal by his attackers”.

Damian McKeone, defending, put it to Garda Treacy that the boy helped the man out of the water. Garda Treacy agreed the man was assisted but it was unknown who helped him out of the canal.

The victim then went home and his partner called an ambulance. It was discovered he was suffering from hypothermia and he had fluid in his lungs.

The teen and other alleged accomplices were identified from CCTV footage obtained by Mountjoy detective unit.

Mr McKeone agreed it was a disturbing incident. He said the boy had a volatile relationship with his mother when he was younger and ended up in care.

He said the boy, who was accompanied to court by his mother and his social worker, had been put into a number of residential care homes around Ireland but often went missing.

He said the boy “has been moved from pillar to post”, and was staying at a hostel at the time where there was “little chance of anything good coming out of it”.

Judge John O’Connor, who dealt with the issue of jurisdiction during an earlier stage in the proceedings, had said he was aware the boy had a lot of issues.

However, the judge added that a lot of support had been offered to him. He said the incident was horrific and “breaks all the barriers”. He refused jurisdiction.

The teenager, who did not address the court, has not yet indicated how he will plead, and was further remanded in custody.


Lifestyle

Fiann Ó Nualláin follows in the footsteps of the Fianna as he explores a province’s hills and vales.Munster marvels: Plants that are unique to a province

Cupid must be something of a motoring enthusiast, as he had most definitely steered his way in the neighbourhood when Amie Gould and Shane O’Neill met at the Rally of the Lakes 12 years ago.Wedding of the Week: Cupid steers couple to right track

When it comes to podcasting, all it takes is one idea — and who knows where it can take you.Podcast Corner: Crimes and creatures rule at Cork’s first podcast fest

Claymation meets science fiction in this enchanting film, writes Esther McCarthy.Latest Shaun adventure is out of this world

More From The Irish Examiner