Eminem set to headline Slane

Detroit rapper Eminem has been unveiled as the surprise act to headline a second concert at Slane Castle next summer.

The artist, who shot to global prominence in 1999 and all but disappeared from it five years later, had been booked to play the venue in 2005 but pulled out of the European leg of his tour because of exhaustion.

At the time, his popularity had been waning and he was in a period of semi-retirement from which he emerged three years later.

Ahead of the cancelled 2005 concert, he had been lauded by the site’s owner, Lord Henry Mountcharles.

And the rapper received the same plaudits now that he has decided to come back in 2013.

“In 2005 I said Eminem was a stunning artist. He is even more so today. I am thrilled he is going to play Slane,” said Lord Mountcharles.

Eminem did play the Oxygen festival at Punchestown in 2010, albeit to mixed reviews.

He will take to the stage on Aug 17, two months after vintage rock act Bon Jovi plays the same venue.

The decision to line up Bon Jovi had already raised eyebrows given the 50,000-person capacity of the venue.

The Eminem tickets will cost €79.50 and will go on sale next Wednesday, Dec 19.

Under 18s will have to be accompanied by people older than 25.

Before the Slane announcement, Eminem had been lined up to headline the Reading Festival.



Lifestyle

The Meghan effect: Keep your sparkle, just buy less

The creative arm of Cork solicitor Catherine Kirwan

New cheap classic will be right within your gaming budget

Director Adam McKay's bizarre case of life imitating art following filming of Vice

More From The Irish Examiner