Charities to benefit from innovative website for adverts

A SIGNED Tipperary hurling jersey, a wine-tasting evening and a toy owned by Munster rugby star Paul O’Connell are just some of the items available to buy on a new charity website.

Non-profit online marketplace GiveandBuy.ie operates like any other classified advertisement service, except that all the proceeds of the sale are given to the seller’s preferred charity.

Some 90% of the sale is donated to the seller’s nominated charity with the remaining 10% going to the “Friends of Kitui” charity, a voluntary group working to alleviate poverty in Kitui in Africa.

To date, 12 Irish charities have signed up, including Trócaire, Barnardos, Our Lady’s Hospice, Down Syndrome Ireland and the Irish Cancer Society.

GiveandBuy.ie’s brand ambassador Miriam O’Callaghan described it as a great opportunity to reuse and recycle goods.

“More importantly it does not look to compete against other charities for donations in the current economic climate, rather it offers an innovative new source of income to supporting charities.”

A spokesperson for GiveandBuy.ie described it as a great way for people to donate to charity without putting their hand in their pocket.

“Every household has unwanted items, and donations to charity have dropped in the last year. Through the site people can clear out that stuff that they don’t want but is of real value to others, and help those in need at the same time.”

The spokesperson added that people can also provide services or skills they may have such as accounting or plumbing for charity.

“From a business perspective it is a great way of getting free advertising for a skill you may have while at the same time keeping your skills up to date if you are unemployed.”

Actress Sarah Bolger, singer Lisa Hannigan and radio presenters, Ian Dempsey and Dave Moore, are just some of the well-known personalities that have donated various items to the cause.

www.giveandbuy.ie


Lifestyle

This truck serves as an excellent metaphor for what needs to happen in our education system. A colossal truck needs to barge in front of it.Secret Diary of an Irish Teacher: Time to ditch private schools

Sorting out Cork people for ages...Ask Audrey: Is it still ok to just lob the gob after 10 pints?

Nip those winter ailments in the bud with the help of garden bounty. Fiann Ó Nualláin shows you how.Have a berry merry Christmas with the help of garden bounty

Dig a planting hole around three times the size of its pot and around the same depth, loosening the soil around the hole.Your quick guide to planting trees

More From The Irish Examiner