A deaf man replied “I am sorry about him, it was an accident” when he was charged with killing a man who died after he was hit by a bus in Dublin City centre.
Eoghan Dudley, aged 28, who was originally from Rathfarnham in the city’s southside, suffered horrific head injuries after he fell under a double-decker bus following an altercation at the junction of Dawson St and Nassau St last Thursday.
The deceased man had recently been living in rented accommodation in Co Wicklow and was identified two days after his death.
On Friday last, which was also his 29th birthday, Edward Connors, whose latest address is a hostel in the city centre’s northside, was arrested in connection with the incident and detained at Pearse St Garda Station.
He was brought before Judge David McHugh at Dublin District Court yesterday.
Mr Connors, who had the proceedings translated by a sign interpreter, was dressed in a navy tracksuit and held out his lawyer’s business card when asked who he wanted to represent him.
Det Garda Conor Ó Braonáin told the judge that Mr Connors made the reply when he was cautioned and charged at Pearse Street Garda Station on Saturday night.
Mr Connors, who had been living at Judge Darley House, a hostel in Dublin, is accused of the manslaughter of Mr Dudley at Dawson St, and did not apply for bail at his brief hearing.
Defence solicitor Cahir O’Higgins asked for legal aid to be granted to his client and for him to get necessary medical attention in custody as he relies on a methadone prescription.
He also said Mr Connors had difficulty in communicating and would also need the assistance of an interpreter when he was being booked into prison.
Judge McHugh was furnished with a statement of Mr Connors’ means and he granted free legal aid to him.
He was remanded in custody and his next hearing will take place on Dec 13.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved