Bus driver sexually assaulted special-needs woman in Dublin

A bus driver for a residential home for people with special needs will be sentenced later this month for twice sexually assaulting a female passenger 16 years ago.

The 72-year-old man, who cannot be named to protect the identity of his now 30- year-old victim, changed his plea to guilty during his trial after a video of the victim’s interview with specialist gardaí was played before a jury at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

He had pleaded not guilty to 10 counts of sexually assaulting the woman in the vehicle and also at a private residence on dates between September 1998 and September 1999, while the woman was 13 years old.

Roisin Lacey, prosecuting, told Judge Sarah Berkeley that the victim had cerebral palsy and “operates her life on the level of a six- or seven-year-old”.

Counsel said the Director of Public Prosecution accepted the accused’s plea of guilty to two charges of sexual assault on the bus. The man has previous convictions for road traffic offences.

Judge Berkeley described it as an “abominable offence”. She adjourned the case to January 27 to allow the man to attend an emergency medical appointment today as his GP was gravely concerned about his health.

She said the man’s prognosis was a significant factor that must be taken into account before she finalised sentence.

Garda Ronan Cogavin told Ms Lacey the victim disclosed the abuse after she received a card from the man on her 25th birthday. She became visibly upset when the card was read out by one of her caregivers at her residential home and made a complaint that she had been abused by the man.

Her mother was notified and she then made a complaint to the gardaí.

The man was interviewed in February 2011 after he came voluntarily to the Garda station but he denied the allegations.

The previous year the victim had been interviewed by specialist gardaí. She said that the man had touched her breasts underneath her clothing and touched her private parts while he was driving her home to her family for the weekend.

The woman told gardaí she had asked the man to stop doing it and hit him but he didn’t listen to her.

Shane Costelloe, defending, told Judge Berkeley that his client had also been charged with sexually assaulting the victim in a private residence but he had continually denied this and the DPP has accepted the two pleas he entered.

Counsel said

his client apologised for his behaviour and took full responsibility but he couldn’t explain how he “allowed himself to do it”.

“He has at times felt suicidal and is deeply ashamed of his behaviour. He accepts it was a gross breach of trust,” Mr Costelloe told Judge Berkeley.


Lifestyle

Flexibility naturally declines with age but there’s a lot you can to stay supple through the decades, says Peta Bee.At full stretch: How to stay flexible through the years

WHEN I think about the kind of child I was, I would say that I was the exact same kind of person that I am as an adult. I have always been fascinated by things that I don’t quite yet understand. I recognise that I hardly understand anything and that most of the world is and always has been so beautifully complex to me.School Daze: Chris Hadfield - I realised at a young age that teachers were fallible

Charlize Theron is unrecognisable as Fox News star Megyn Kelly in ‘Bombshell’, a film that looks at the sexual harassment scandal at the network. She talks to Laura Harding about Me Too and the complexity of the film.Charlize Theron on Bombshell: ‘For the first time we are realising women can be part of the problem'

More From The Irish Examiner