The British company which carried out the security sweep at the offices of the Garda Ombudsman yesterday said it stood by its findings. Verrimus said it “welcomed the opportunity” to discuss its investigation with the High Court judge if it was so requested.
The statement followed comments by Minister Shatter in the Dáil on Tuesday night in which he said an Irish security company had reviewed the reports by Verrimus and disagreed with its findings.
Mr Shatter said that the Irish company — named in media reports as Rits Security Group — had concluded there was no evidence of surveillance.
“That is no evidence at all, not merely no definitive evidence. This report also disputes other conclusions reached by Verrimus,” said Mr Shatter.
The minister said some of the technology alleged to have been used in surveillance was “widely available on the internet”.
In its statement Verrimus said: “We stand by the evidence in our original report to GSOC, supplemental reports and the signed investigation log and evidence compiled by GSOC and Verrimus operators during the investigation.” The company said about the tasks it undertook on behalf of GSOC “we have been reminded” of obligations under the Garda Síochána Act not to discuss details of the investigation.
The statement did not say who, or what body, had reminded them of the law.
The statement said it had been happy to assist the media to correct “misinformed and inaccurate reporting” of technical threat possibilities and capabilities.
A spokeswoman for Rits declined to comment, saying it could not discuss anything relating to clients.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved