THERE is a “clear and real danger” to the life of the child who escaped being killed in Monday’s double murder, the High Court was told.
The boy’s mother was taking a case to prevent the Irish Daily Star from publishing the name of her son.
The High Court accepted an undertaking by the newspaper that it would not publish the boy’s name, address or other information that could identify him.
Ms Justice Mary Laffoy said this was a case about the right to life of a child and that was why she was taking such a serious view of the matter.
Senior counsel Declan Doyle, for the boy’s mother, said they were seeking an injunction because of threats to the boy’s life.
He said the boy was now under armed protection. “There is a right to life and there is a clear and real danger to his life,” said Mr Doyle.
Brothers Paul and Kenneth Corbally were riddled with bullets by two masked men firing semi-automatic handguns as they sat in a car on Neilstown Avenue, Clondalkin, west Dublin.
The boy was sitting in the back seat of the car and received injuries, but managed to flee the scene. He is still in Tallaght Hospital and is expected to receive ongoing treatment.
Gardaí yesterday recovered the two handguns in the burnt-out getaway car used by the killers. It is not yet certain if the guns, badly damaged by fire, can offer any forensic clues.
Gardaí are hoping people may have seen the car – a silver Audi A6 – in the last month. It was stolen in Carlow with a registration 02 D 2633. It may have been seen with either this number or the false number 00 KE 13498 between when it was stolen and the murders.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved